Run for Robotics (RfR) 2012
Saturday, August 18th from 9am – 5pm.
What is RfR 2012?
Join the Juxtopia® Urban Robotics Brilliant Application Network (JURBAN™) team for its
1st annual Run for Robotics (RfR) event.
The JURBAN RfR is a 5K run around Druid Hill Park in Baltimore, Maryland for the purpose of fund raising for the Google Lunar X PRIZE (GLXP) JURBAN™ team’s race to the moon, scheduled for year, 2014.
The GLXP JURBAN™ team is the only team in the worldwide competition that is from Baltimore; the only team from Maryland; and the only team representing underserved and disadvantaged populations from around the world.
At RfR, learn how the JURBAN team is promoting the United State’s National Robotics Initiative(NRI) and how team JURBAN is developing service robots that solve problems in underserved and disadvantaged communities. All age groups are welcome to RfR as we promote, fitness, public health, STEM proficiency, and interplanetary service robotic engineering.
What type of attractions can I expect at RfR 2012?
- Demonstration of the GLXP JURBAN robot, “JOHLT” simulating Moon surface navigation.
- Real space rated rocket engine hardware demonstration.
- Communication subsystem demonstration.
- Juxtopia® augmented reality goggle demonstration.
- Small space and robotic related giveaways.
- Moon Bounce for children.
- View RfR posters that communicate concepts for how innovative service robots may solve “painful” problems in the Baltimore Community.
NOTE: If you’d like to submit a poster, please see below for (abstract) submission instructions
Call for Abstracts
During your 5K run, walk, or stroll, view RfR posters that communicate concepts for how innovative service robots may solve “painful” problems in the Baltimore Community.
The Juxtopia® Group’s JURBAN™ program reflects the goals of the National Robotics Initiative (NRI), which is to accelerate the development and use of robots in the United States that work beside, or cooperatively with, people. The purpose of the JURBAN program provides opportunities to underserved and disadvantaged youth from middle and high school students to college students to creatively apply critical thinking and problem solving skills in science, technology, engineering, & math (STEM) to build autonomous service robots with capabilities of solving community that have interplanetary value.
The abstracts should focus on service robot concepts (i.e., both professional and service robots) that may significantly improve human performance.
Suggested RfR abstract topics include, but are not limited to:
- Health care service robots for:
- Home care, personalized care, or for special-needs populations
- Robot-assisted recovery and rehabilitation
- Robotic behavioral therapy
- Surgery and first emergency first response interventions
- Robotic replacement of diminished/lost function
- Robot diagnosis and out of hospital health care communication
- Public Work robots for:
- City infrastructure inspection and maintenance.
- Park surveillance and maintenance
- Water inspection and cleaning.
- Residential robots for:
- Construction assistance.
- Landscape assistance.
- Home maintenance, cleaning, and repair.
- Community and Neighborhood Security robots for:
- Community surveillance.
- Crime surveillance and reporting.
How to submit a RfR 2012 abstract and Register
(simple 4 step process)
1. Review Abstract Guidelines.
2. Type your abstracts in 300 words or less.
3. Select whether your abstract is an engineering concept or developed prototype.
4. Use the following RfR online form to submit your abstract.
Abstract submission dates coming soon.
Best abstracts will be invited for inclusion in a special issue of the Journal of Urban Service Robots (JUSR)
For more information, please contact Morgan Glaze firstname.lastname@example.org.
Juxtopia® Imhotep™ (JI Band)
Juxtopia® Interactive Virtual Instructor (JIVI™)
Juxtopia® Urban Robotics Application Network (JURBAN™)
Juxtopia® Epoch (JEPOCH™)
Juxtopia® Advanced Mixed Reality (JAMR™)
Juxtopia® Intelligent Spaces (JIS™)
Juxtopia® Urban Learning Technology Television (JULT.tv™)
Juxtopia® Urban Innovation and Cooperative Entrepreneurship (JUICE™)